You're engaged! Great! Let's see how we can help. Read on below …

Just want to book banns?

To book the calling of your banns in one of our churches for a wedding elsewhere, please complete the booking form here. Please note that If you intend to marry in one of the churches in the Beechwood Ministry Area this form is unnecessary for you to fill in. Just keep scrolling.

Lots of questions? Here are a few of the answers.

What should I expect when booking a date?

When you make contact, we’ll check the parish diary and confirm the date you’ve requested. Then, depending on the church you're asking about, the clergy will either ask you to meet with them to fill in the booking forms, or else direct you to our online form.

For legal reasons, we normally need to book a wedding at least one full month in advance — although, in special cases, we may be able to make emergency provisions at short notice, so please don't hesitate to ask. If you would find it helpful to chat beforehand, please ask — there's a contact form below — and we’ll book an appointment.

Who can get married here?

It is a legal requirement that couples marrying in church should have a qualifying connection to the parish church. This will typically mean that one of the partners meets one of the following conditions:

  • you currently live in the parish;
  • you worship in the church and have joined the electoral roll;
  • you were baptised in the parish;
  • you were confirmed in the parish;
  • your parents or grandparents were married in the church;
  • you or a parent formerly lived in the parish for six months;
  • you or a parent formerly attended worship for six months.

If you are concerned about meeting these conditions, please ring, text, or be in touch via the contact form below.

I've been divorced. Can I still get married in church?

Yes! Human lives are messy, and the church proclaims redemption. Once upon a time, divorce was a bar to a church wedding, but much has changed since then and those days are long gone. Today, you will find clergy in the Beechwood Ministry Area who are happy to preside over a second marriage ceremony and will be more than willing to chat through any concerns you may have. Please be in touch.

What about same-sex couples?

Bit of good news on this front, and a bit of bad news. By law, the Church in Wales is not permitted to solemnise a same-sex marriage; this must be done through a registrar. That said, the Bishops of the Church in Wales made provision some years ago, for clergy and congregations to pray with same-sex couples who have already made their vows before the civil authorities and to ask for God's presence with them. Again, you will find clergy within the Beechwood Ministry Area who are happy to do so, and a quick contact through the form below will allow us to chat with you further.

May we have our civil marriage blessed? Would you bless our marriage for our anniversary?

Yes, of course; we'd be happy to. Just contact us and ask.

How much are the fees?

The standard church wedding fees are set annually by the Welsh Government. In addition, our fees cover the organist and those who assist on the day. Fees vary from year to year, usually going up by the rate of inflation, but are currently in the range of £600-£700. Fees for the of blessing of a marriage that's already happened are a tiny bit lower.

What about the legalities?

For the vast majority of couples (provided both are British nationals), all you need to do is contact the priest, who will be able to talk you through the legalities and arrange everything on our end.

Most church weddings require banns to be called beforehand. Calling the banns is a legal procedure in which your intention to marry is announced in the main parish service for three weeks running. If one or both of you is not resident in the parish, you will need to have banns called in your own parish church as well. We normally call banns during the first three weeks of the month before the wedding. There is no legal requirement for a couple to be present, but many families do enjoy coming along to hear the banns read.

Under certain, fairly rare circumstances — most often the marriage of a foreign national or a wedding that, for some reason, must be conducted very quickly — we would require marriage by common licence, rather than banns. Obtaining a licence is a fairly straightforward process by which you demonstrate your identity and freedom to marry to a church official. If you have a query, the clergy will be happy to assist. It is also the case that foreign nationals must get permission from the Registry Office prior to their church wedding. You will need them to issue you with a Marriage Schedule — a document authorising the priest to solemnise your marriage — so please be aware of this, if it applies to you.

If you'd like to get a query started, please get in touch using the contact form below.